St. Helen Lake Association Annual News Letter - CLICK HERE for a copy of the News Letter
About Lake St. Helen
Lake St. Helen has been an essential part of the St. Helen / Richfield Township area for generations. Lake St. Helen is an all sports lake with a range of activities including boating, fishing, ice fishing, kayaking, and many many more. With over 2,400 acres of water and a completely undeveloped ALL NATURAL North Shore there is plenty of space for everyone. The Lake Association has been supporting and protecting this treasure for over 25 years.
Upcoming Lake Association Sponsored Events
The St. Helen Lake Association handles several community projects and participates in serval as well. Below is a list of upcoming community events. Be sure to come back frequently to see updates to this list for additional information including dates and times.
- Family Fun Fest. - July 28th ( with support of the St. Helen Chamber of Commerce )
- Annual Boat Wash - August 4th at the Lake St. Helen Public access site at the end of Airport Road West.
- Annual Lighted Christmas Parade - Saturday December 8th
Combating Invasive Species
The St.Helen Lake Association is committed to combating many, many invasive species issues that face our lake. A few of these issues are listed below:
PLANT - Eurasian Water Milfoil PLANT - Curly Pondweed
Plants are not the only thing facing our lake. There are also several animal invasive species which can affect our current fish stock and other wildlife.
ANIMAL - Zebra Mussels ANIMAL - Asian Carp ( Potentially in the Future ) ANIMAL - Invasive Crayfish
A lot of these issues can be fought by cleaning your boat before you enter and when you exit the lake. DO NOT DUMP YOUR UNUSED BAIT OR BILGE INTO THE LAKE WATER. Be a good custodian of this natural resource and help fight invasive species. Annually we sponsor a boat wash, at the public access site, to clean boats and educate lake users on the danger of invasive species.
Lake St. Helen Amenities
While many of Lake St. Helen's amenities were a team effort, many of them would not have been possible without the support of the Lake Association and also the support of our Community. Listed below are a few of our great amenities in and around Lake St. Helen.
- The area's only fully Handicap Accessible Kayak Launch and Fishing Pier.
- Two Public Beaches that are run by our local Township and also there are several private (membership required beaches).
- There is also a local government Marina and also two privately owned marinas.
- Lake St. Helen also has some of the best Ice Fishing in the area over the winter and is typically the first of our area lakes to freeze over.
Lake Association Accomplishments
The St. Helen Lake Association is very involved in our local community and the area. We have been involved in everything from the local Christmas parade, the monitoring of the lake levels, working with the County of Roscommon to make essential dam repairs to name just a few accomplishments. We are committed to improving our lake and our community. Listed below are a few more of our contributions to the community.
- INSTRUMENTAL IN ESTABLISHING A HISTORIC LAKE LEVEL.
- LEAD THE CONTINUED FIGHT AGAINST EURASIAN WATERMILFOIL (WEED CONTROL).
- WORKED WITH ROSCOMMON COUNTY ON THE INSTALLATION OF AN ELECTRONIC GAUGE TO MEASURE WATER LEVELS.
- CONTRIBUTED TO THE NEW DAM RESTORATION AT THE HEADWATERS OF THE AUSABLE RIVER
- EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS FOR THE LOCAL COMMUNITY INCLUDING AN ANNUAL BOAT WASH AT THE PUBLIC ACCESS SITE.
Below are Area Resources that impact Lake St. Helen and the Surrounding Area.